I haven’t figured out the motor control issues yet, but decided to take a break and 3D print some parts for another part of the project. Continue reading Telecine project – part 11 – power and Ethernet
As I mentioned in part 9, I completed the main circuit board and began testing. I’m having two issues: (1) once it begins turning, the stepper motor won’t stop; and (2) the lamp LED turns on won’t turn off.
Here is the sequence of steps.
The server indicates that it has started the motor running forward, and the motor does indeed start running.
If I click Reverse, the motor reverses and continues running.
When I click Stop, however …
A blank line appears on the server log, and the server becomes non-responsive. The motor continues to run, and the server will not respond to any further commands from the client.
At this point I have to manually shut down the server app.
The relay is connected to pin #2 on the Raspberry Pi, which is always high, no matter what the server software says. I’m not sure what is going on with this. It’s also possible I have something wired improperly.
Quick update – I’m soldering the various parts of the circuit. My old Weller soldering iron died, so I bought a new one. Continue reading Telecine project – part 9 – soldering
Since I’m trying to follow the original rpi-film-capture design as closely as possible, I’m adapting the original circuit as documented here. Continue reading Telecine project – part 8 – circuit design
I redesigned and simplified and camera bracket, then drilled holes in the projector plate and bolted everything together.
One thing I noticed immediately is that the glass between the camera and the film was dirty and scratched. As far as I can tell, I don’t actually need it — it was there to protect the film from the (very bright and hot) lamp and the spinning shutter. So I removed it entirely. Continue reading Telecine project – part 7 – first capture!
I got a good print of my mark 3 bracket (I skipped mark 2), and the camera bolted on nicely. Part of the lens support snapped off — too thin. The lens support caused other problems as well — it blocks the screwdriver from reaching one of the screw heads; and it also gets in the way of the focus ring on the camera. More on that later. Continue reading Telecine project – part 6 – bracket mark 3
My wonderful wife bought me a Monoprice Select 3D Printer V2, so I was able to get a few parts made! The LED holder turned out pretty well (on the third try).
I haven’t been able to try the LED yet, because I still need to figure out the driver/relay circuits. I am also realizing that I will probably need a heat sink on this sucker. Continue reading Telecine project – part 5 – first 3D printed parts
- I really don’t want the old shutter in there at all.
- The smooth belt approach will lead to slippage.
The back of the projector is where the shutter and the main drive shaft are. This is where the motor will be mounted. Continue reading Telecine project – part 3 – shutter and motor
There are two subsystems on the “front” of the camera — the camera and the light source. Continue reading Telecine project – part 2 – camera and light